Sanctification

Of Archbishop Usher  it is related that a friend urged him to write his thoughts on sanctification , which he engaged to do ; but when the performance of his engagement was claimed , he replied to the effect : "I have not written , and yet I cannot charge myself with a breach of promise ; for I began to write , but when I came to treat of the new creature which God formeth by His Spirit in the regenerate soul , I found so little of it wrought in myself that I could speak of it only as parrots , or by rote , without the knowledge of what I might have expressed ; and therefore I durst not presume to proceed any further upon it ." His friend being amazed at such a confession from so eminently holy a person , he added " I must tell you what sanctification and the new creature are . It is no less than for a man to be brought to an entire resignation of his will to the will of God , and to live in the offering up of his soul continually in the flames of love , and as a whole burnt - offering to Christ ; and O! how many who profess Christianity are unacquainted  experimentally with this great work upon their souls ."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God of my Fathers

The Word of the Lord is tried. The Bible tested and triumphant B. B. Loomis, Ph. D. Look at some of the severe tests to which the Bible has been subjected, and by successfully meeting which it has vindicated its claims to a Divine origin, and to universal human acceptance. I. THE BIBLE HAS STOOD THE TEST OF TIME. Since the Sacred Canon closed, how many and how vast are the changes which have gone on among men. Hardly one of the ancient powers is today extant. How great have been the strides of human progress! Yet the science of salvation, as taught in the Bible, has needed no remodeling. The race does not outgrow the religion of the Bible. Compare the case of the Bible with the poems of Homer. The two works are, in a certain sense, contemporaneous; critics have denied to the Bible any higher inspiration than that of human genius; and Greek poetry held among that ancient people very much the same place as did the sacred Scriptures among the Jews. Three thousand years ago the two works stood before the world on a comparative equality. How stands the case today? Homer is read as a model of epic verse and specimen of old Ionic Greek. The Bible is read everywhere as a transcript of the Eternal. II. THE TEST OF CRITICISM. Criticism, the most searching and severe to which any work has ever been subjected. A criticism often hostile. But the old Book has come out of it only purified. III. THE TEST OF PRACTICAL TRIAL. In the patent office are models of many beautiful machines that could not be worked. The Book will stand every practical test. It gives the solution of the great enigmas of the human soul, and provides the consolation for life's dark hours, those hours of disappointment, adversity, sorrow, and bereavement which come so surely to us all. (B. B. Loomis, Ph. D.)