Martin Luther

,Martin Luther was in his boyhood so poor that he went about the streets of the city singing songs for a little money to buy food to keep him from starving. But he was a faithful student , and God raised up friends for him, and made him , at last , the great and useful man that he was . On a cold dark night , when the wind was blowing hard , Conrad , a worthy citizen of a little town in Germany , sat playing his flute , while Ursula , his wife , was preparing supper. They heard a voice singing outside ;


"Foxes to their holes have gone ,


Every bird into its nest;


But I wander here alone ,


And for me there is no rest."


Tears filled the old man's eyes as he said ,"What a pity that voice should be spoiled by being tried in such weather!" I think it is the voice of a child . Let us open the door and see," said his wife , who had lost a little boy not long before , and whose heart was opened to take pity on the little wanderer. Conrad opened the door , and saw a ragged child , who said ," Charity , good sir , for Christ's sake ." "Come in , my little one ," he said . "You shall rest with me for the night."

The boy said," Thank God and entered. The heat of the room made him faint , but Ursula's kind care soon restored him. They gave him some supper , and then he told them that he was the son of a poor miner and wanted to be a priest. He wandered about and sang , and lived on the money people gave him. His kind friends would not him talk much, and sent him to bed . When he was asleep they looked in upon him , and were so pleased with his pleasant countenance that they determined to keep him if he was willing . In the morning they found that he was only too glad to remain. They sent him to school , and afterwards he entered a monastery. There he found the Bible , which he read , and from which he learned the way of life. The sweet voice of the little singer became the strong echo of the good news, " Justified by faith , we have peace with God, through our Lord Jesus Christ." Conrad and Ursula , when they took that street singer into their house , little thought that they were nourishing the great champion of the Reformation . The poor child was Martin Luther! "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers."

The following is the whole of the song that Luther sang on that memorable night:

"Lord of Heaven !Lone and sad,
I would lift my soul to thee;
Pilgrim in a foreign land ,
Gracious Father , look on me.
I shall neither faint nor die
While I walk beneath thine eye.

" I will stay my faith on thee,
And will never fear to tread
Where the Saviour Master leads;
He will give me daily bread.
Christ was hungry , Christy was poor ;
He will feed me with his store.

Foxes to their holes have gone,
Every bird into his nest;
But I wander here alone ,
And for me there is no rest;
Yet I neither faint nor fear ,
For the Saviour - Christ is near.

"If I live he'll near me be ;
If I die to him I'll go .
He'll not leave me , I will trust him,
And my heart no fear shall know.
Sin and sorrow I defy;
For on Jesus I rely. From an old magazine.(1895)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God of my Fathers

The Word of the Lord is tried. The Bible tested and triumphant B. B. Loomis, Ph. D. Look at some of the severe tests to which the Bible has been subjected, and by successfully meeting which it has vindicated its claims to a Divine origin, and to universal human acceptance. I. THE BIBLE HAS STOOD THE TEST OF TIME. Since the Sacred Canon closed, how many and how vast are the changes which have gone on among men. Hardly one of the ancient powers is today extant. How great have been the strides of human progress! Yet the science of salvation, as taught in the Bible, has needed no remodeling. The race does not outgrow the religion of the Bible. Compare the case of the Bible with the poems of Homer. The two works are, in a certain sense, contemporaneous; critics have denied to the Bible any higher inspiration than that of human genius; and Greek poetry held among that ancient people very much the same place as did the sacred Scriptures among the Jews. Three thousand years ago the two works stood before the world on a comparative equality. How stands the case today? Homer is read as a model of epic verse and specimen of old Ionic Greek. The Bible is read everywhere as a transcript of the Eternal. II. THE TEST OF CRITICISM. Criticism, the most searching and severe to which any work has ever been subjected. A criticism often hostile. But the old Book has come out of it only purified. III. THE TEST OF PRACTICAL TRIAL. In the patent office are models of many beautiful machines that could not be worked. The Book will stand every practical test. It gives the solution of the great enigmas of the human soul, and provides the consolation for life's dark hours, those hours of disappointment, adversity, sorrow, and bereavement which come so surely to us all. (B. B. Loomis, Ph. D.)