“I can’t afford it”


“Just come and work awhile in my garden on Sunday mornings, will you, Jim?” said a working man, with his pick-axe over his shoulder, to an old hedger, who was working by the side of the road. Jim took off his cap and made a bow to the speaker, and then said, “No, master, I can’t afford it.” “Oh! I don’t want you to do it for nothing. I’ll pay you well for the work.” “Thank you, master, but I can’t afford it.” “Why, man, it will put something in your pocket, and I don’t think you are too well off.” “That’s true; and that’s the reason why I say I can’t afford it.” “Can’t afford it! Why, surely, you don’t understand me.” “Yes, I do; but I’m not quick of speech. Please don’t snap me up, and I’ll tell you what I mean. It’s very true, as you say, that I’m not well off in this world. But I’ve a blessed hope of being better off in the world to come. My Lord and Saviour has said, ‘I go to prepare a place for yon, that where I am there ye may be also.’ I learned that text more than twenty years ago, and it has been a great comfort to me.” “Well, but what’s that got to do with your saying in answer to my offer--‘I can’t afford it’?” “Why, no offence to you, sir, but it’s got all to do with it. If I lose my hope in that better land, I lose everything. My Saviour says I must keep the Sabbath day holy. If I break His command I shall not be prepared for the place He is preparing for me. And then all my hope is gone. And this is what I mean by saying, ‘I can’t afford it.’”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Church discipline