Some years ago, one of the North American Indians, a chief, visited our country, and at several large meetings told his story. That story was given in something like the following words : — ^' I was a worshipper of the sun, and moon, and stars, some fourteen years ago, when I heard a missionary preach of a beautiful heaven, into which, he said, all the righteous should enter, and of a dreadful hell, into which all the wicked must be cast. I asked, ' Is there any chance of a Chippewa Indian getting to heaven?' I was told, ' Oh yes, heaven is open to all who believe in Jesus, God's Son, if we come through Him we shall find a warm welcome and a ready entrance.' I was glad at this, for my sins began to trouble me ; I was like one of our Indian deer, when it is shot by the hunter; it flies over the hills and prairies until it becomes weary with its exertions and faint with loss of blood; it falls down, and turns first on one side, and then on the other side, and at last it dies. Thus it was with me, the pain in my heart rankled sorely, and I could get no rest from its smart. But I prayed to God : however, I thought God would only hear me if I prayed to Him in the English language. I did not know much English^ but I said, ^Oh Christ, have mercy upon me, poor sinner, poor Indian.' About that time I was asked out to dine. Before dinner a blessing was asked in the English lan- guage, '^Ah,' I thought, 'God understands that;' but after dinner, thanks were returned in the Chippewa language, and I thought, 'If God understands your Chippewa, He will understand mine.' I went home, I crept up into a little hayloft, and in my native tongue, I poured out my heart before the Lord, I said with Jacob, ' Oh Christ, I will not let Thee go except Thou bless me,' and before the day broke, my heart was full of joy unspeakable and full of glory." The results of this prayer we cannot omit. '' I then strove to make known to my fellow-men the blessedness of the Gospel I had received, I established a school, and, among other scholars, I had thirty married women, who taught their husbands at night what they had learned during the day. I had, however, but one spelling book and one Testament. My spelling book I took to pieces and gave a leaf to each scholar, my Bible was passed from hand to hand. Our progress was very slow, so I thought I would come to the country whence the Bibles came, to look out for help. And now, my dear friends, I have told my tale, and I want to ask you if you will give me some Bibles and spelling books to take back to my dear children." The response of the hall to this appeal was, " We will ! we will!" And soon afterwards, freighted with a large supply, the Indian went back to his own country, and lived and laboured for Christ. In "The Times'" obituary there subsequently appeared the following brief record of his death ; '"'■ Died, in North West America, (on such a day) Peter Jones, missionary and chief/^
Popular posts from this blog
God of my Fathers
Science is doing grand things today. Her beneficent step is heard almost everywhere. But physical science is comparatively young. And you know the characteristic defects of youth. It is headstrong and impatient, and often irreverent.It is sometimes not over reticent, even on matters concerning which it cannot form reliable judgments I now speak on "the claims of the religion of our fathers." 1. It was "our fathers'." That the sires trusted in God is a very sufficient reason why the sons should hesitate, and hesitate long, before they reach the grave conclusion that there is no God, or that if there be He cannot be trusted because He cannot be known. One of the healthiest facts of human nature and of human life has ever been that spirit of reverence for the past which links generation to generation, and practically makes the race one. We Englishmen are by no means destitute of this fine sentiment. 2. Our fathers proved it. What is the testimony borne by honest ...
The Word of the Lord is tried. The Bible tested and triumphant B. B. Loomis, Ph. D. Look at some of the severe tests to which the Bible has been subjected, and by successfully meeting which it has vindicated its claims to a Divine origin, and to universal human acceptance. I. THE BIBLE HAS STOOD THE TEST OF TIME. Since the Sacred Canon closed, how many and how vast are the changes which have gone on among men. Hardly one of the ancient powers is today extant. How great have been the strides of human progress! Yet the science of salvation, as taught in the Bible, has needed no remodeling. The race does not outgrow the religion of the Bible. Compare the case of the Bible with the poems of Homer. The two works are, in a certain sense, contemporaneous; critics have denied to the Bible any higher inspiration than that of human genius; and Greek poetry held among that ancient people very much the same place as did the sacred Scriptures among the Jews. Three thousand years ago the two works stood before the world on a comparative equality. How stands the case today? Homer is read as a model of epic verse and specimen of old Ionic Greek. The Bible is read everywhere as a transcript of the Eternal. II. THE TEST OF CRITICISM. Criticism, the most searching and severe to which any work has ever been subjected. A criticism often hostile. But the old Book has come out of it only purified. III. THE TEST OF PRACTICAL TRIAL. In the patent office are models of many beautiful machines that could not be worked. The Book will stand every practical test. It gives the solution of the great enigmas of the human soul, and provides the consolation for life's dark hours, those hours of disappointment, adversity, sorrow, and bereavement which come so surely to us all. (B. B. Loomis, Ph. D.)
The Word of the Lord is tried. The Bible tested and triumphant B. B. Loomis, Ph. D. Look at some of the severe tests to which the Bible has been subjected, and by successfully meeting which it has vindicated its claims to a Divine origin, and to universal human acceptance. I. THE BIBLE HAS STOOD THE TEST OF TIME. Since the Sacred Canon closed, how many and how vast are the changes which have gone on among men. Hardly one of the ancient powers is today extant. How great have been the strides of human progress! Yet the science of salvation, as taught in the Bible, has needed no remodeling. The race does not outgrow the religion of the Bible. Compare the case of the Bible with the poems of Homer. The two works are, in a certain sense, contemporaneous; critics have denied to the Bible any higher inspiration than that of human genius; and Greek poetry held among that ancient people very much the same place as did the sacred Scriptures among the Jews. Three thousand years ago the two works s...
Comments
Post a Comment