Presence of Christ



“I have not now, of a long time, found such high spring-tides as formerly. The sea is out, the wind of His Spirit calm; and I cannot buy a wind, or, by requesting the sea, cause it to flow again; only I wait on upon the banks…… Till the Lord send a full sea…… Yet sorrow for His absence is sweet; and sighs, with ‘Saw ye Him whom my soul loveth?’ have their own delights.”
(Samuel Rutherford, Aberdeen, 1637 to Lady Boyd)
My sea is out, the Spirit’s wind is still,
And desolate the shore;
Those high spring-tides I used to know
I long to know once more.
I cannot buy a wind and it is vain
To beg the tide to flow;
I can but wait upon the bank
Until God’s wind shall blow.
A house I build of pining strong desire
To find my absent Lord;
Yet sorrow has its own delights
And pain can joy afford.
I spin a web of hopeful sighs and tears,
My dreams of Him are sweet,
For ere He left, He pledged His love -
A token till we meet.
As misty dews may cheer the drooping flower
Athirst for gentle rain,
So Christ with secret dews of grace
My heart shall still sustain.
But when He comes to flood the waiting soul
With love’s full flowing tide,
He bursts the banks with streams of grace,
And I am satisfied.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God of my Fathers

The Word of the Lord is tried. The Bible tested and triumphant B. B. Loomis, Ph. D. Look at some of the severe tests to which the Bible has been subjected, and by successfully meeting which it has vindicated its claims to a Divine origin, and to universal human acceptance. I. THE BIBLE HAS STOOD THE TEST OF TIME. Since the Sacred Canon closed, how many and how vast are the changes which have gone on among men. Hardly one of the ancient powers is today extant. How great have been the strides of human progress! Yet the science of salvation, as taught in the Bible, has needed no remodeling. The race does not outgrow the religion of the Bible. Compare the case of the Bible with the poems of Homer. The two works are, in a certain sense, contemporaneous; critics have denied to the Bible any higher inspiration than that of human genius; and Greek poetry held among that ancient people very much the same place as did the sacred Scriptures among the Jews. Three thousand years ago the two works stood before the world on a comparative equality. How stands the case today? Homer is read as a model of epic verse and specimen of old Ionic Greek. The Bible is read everywhere as a transcript of the Eternal. II. THE TEST OF CRITICISM. Criticism, the most searching and severe to which any work has ever been subjected. A criticism often hostile. But the old Book has come out of it only purified. III. THE TEST OF PRACTICAL TRIAL. In the patent office are models of many beautiful machines that could not be worked. The Book will stand every practical test. It gives the solution of the great enigmas of the human soul, and provides the consolation for life's dark hours, those hours of disappointment, adversity, sorrow, and bereavement which come so surely to us all. (B. B. Loomis, Ph. D.)