It is, then, both awakening and alarming to reflect how far a person may go in outward profession, and yet be a hypocrite with God; an almost Christian; "a castaway." If the new creature in Christ Jesus can be so counterfeited, as to deceive for a time the children of God, whose judgment is always guided by that charity which hopes all things; how ought I to examine into the principles, motives, and springs of my own actions, lest, after having made a profession before men, I should be rejected as "reprobate silver" in that day, when "the fire shall try every man's work, of what sort it is!" Ohwhat need there is for sifting ourselves! "Blessed Lord, make me an humble, sincere disciple. Let me not covet after gifts, so much as graces; and after divine gifts, only that I may be useful to others, and glorify you. I may live in the bustle of religious institutions, while devoid of religious affections. I may be able to advocate thecause of Christ, while destitute of a saving interest in his blood. I may mingle in the companies of the pious, and yet be an utter stranger to their spirit and experience." Nothing will stand the test of the great day, but faith which works by love. My soul must be united to Christ by a living faith, before my works can be acceptable to a holy God. Out of Christ, I am a dead branch. In Christ, I become fruitful, through the skill of the heavenly husbandman, who prunes the living branches, that they may bring forth more fruit to the glory of his grace. This blessed receiving of Jesus, through the power of the Holy Spirit, will be accompanied by a gradual renewal of the soul into his image; and this divine transformation will be productive of works of faith, labors of love, and patience of hope. My heart will become the abode of peace and purity. High and holy principles will be implanted in richer abundance. I shall live for Christ. His glory will be my chief aim, his law my soul's delight. Holy love will guide my movements, and become the unceasing spring of holy actions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Church discipline