Walking on the water

When I saw Peter stepping forth upon the waters, I could not but wonder at his great faith; yet behold, ere he can have measured many paces, the Judge of hearts taxes him for little faith. Our mountains are but motes to God. Would my heart have served me to dare the doing of this that Peter did? Durst I have set my foot where he did? O Saviour, if thou foundest cause to censure the weakness and poverty of his faith, what mayest thou well say to mine! They mistake that think thou wilt take up with anything. Thou lookest for firmitude and vigour in those graces, which thou wilt allow in thy best disciples, no less than truth. The first steps were confident, there was fear in the next. O the sudden alteration of our affections, of our dispositions! One pace varies our spiritual condition. What hold is there of so fickle creatures, if we be left never so little to ourselves? As this lower world, wherein we are, is the region of mutability, so are we, the living pieces of it, subject to a perpetual change. It is for the blessed saints and angels above to be fixed in good: while we are here, there can be no constancy expected from us, but in variableness. As well as our Saviour loves Peter, yet he chides him. It is the fruit of his favour and mercy that we escape judgment, not that we escape reproof. Had not Peter found grace with his Master, he had been suffered to sink in silence; now he is saved with a check. There may be more love in frowns than in smiles: “Whom he loves he chastises.” What is chiding but a verbal castigation? And what is chastisement but a real chiding? “Correct me, O Lord, yet in thy judgment, not in thy fury. O let the righteous God smite me, when I offend, with his gracious reproofs; these shall be a precious oil that shall not break my head.”Joseph Hall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Church discipline