Praise

 Praise is a great debt, as well as a great blessing. Let none? take this as an ordinary duty; but let all Christians know, that the main point of the life and practice of Christianity lies in the performance of it, 1 Pet. ii. 9. Praise should rise according to the worth of what we praise for. Greatest favours call for highest praises; and special mercy from the Lord is the highest favour. It is a good custom, and a duty also that people, when they receive their daily bread from God, do give him thanks for it, as well as beg his blessing on it. Pray then, how do you think the Lord will take thankfulness for his special mercy? How many hath the Lord to give in this charge against ?" I never gave thee a night's rest, but thou "gave me thanks for it in the morning; but I have by my "mercy raised thee up to newness of life, and I was never "thanked for it. I never fed thy body, but thou blessed me "for my bounty; but I have given thee my Son for the bread "of thy soul, but no praise for this gift. When thou wast "near death, I did in mercy restore thee, and was praised for "it; but special mercy hath delivered thy soul from eternal "destruction, but when didst thou praise for that?" Have a care this charge be not given against you. Live to his praise, and let praise be the main work of your life. Robert Traill

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Church discipline